The University's travel insurance is provided by ACE Insurance for staff and students travelling overseas on official University business for up to 365 days.
This policy covers the following members of the University:
- Staff (refer to Travel FAQ)
- Students(Undergraduate and Postgraduate. Includes limited personal travel - refer to Travel FAQ)
- Volunteers and Invitees of the University
Medical coverage is limited to trauma cover accidents, serious illness etc. You are not covered for routine medical events such as check-ups, for pre-existing medical conditions, filling prescriptions and vaccinations. In addition, if you have purchased private travel insurance for your trip, then claims for medical expenses must be made under the private policy before the UNSW Business Travel policy can be accessed. If a traveller requires emergency assistance they should contact International SOS, UNSW's travel assistance and emergency provider.
- Who/What is covered?
For staff (which includes guests, invitees and volunteers) the UNSW Staff Travel Insurance Policy Number is 01PP528908.
UNSW provides Travel Insurance which covers UNSW staff, accompanying spouses/partners, dependent children and carers, travelling more than 100kms on UNSW business such as:
- Attending a Conference
- Special Studies Program (SSP)
- Conducting fieldwork
- Travelling on UNSW business with the approval of your Supervisor.
For students the UNSW Student Travel Insurance Policy Number is 01PP528908.
UNSW provides Travel Insurance which covers UNSW travelling more than 100kms on approved UNSW business such as:
- Attending a Conference
- Conducting fieldwork
- Participating in an approved Exchange Program
- Travelling on UNSW business with approval the of your
- Academic Supervisor or School.
- Level of Cover
Travel Insurance provides cover for some of the following:
- Medical expenses incurred overseas as a result of a bodily injury or sickness.
- Medical evacuation costs provided such evacuation is recommended by a Doctor.
- Additional expenses incurred due to forfeited travel, hotel or out-of-pocket expenses following accidental death, injury or illness of a Covered Person whilst on authorised travel.
- Cancellation and curtailment expenses due to forfeited travel, hotel or out-of-pocket expenses incurred as a result of the unexpected Accidental Death, Serious Injury or Serious Sickness of certain specified persons associated with the Covered Person or any other unforeseen circumstances outside the control of UNSW or the Covered Person.
- Covered Person or any other unforeseen circumstances outside the control of UNSW or the Covered Person.
- Loss of travel and accommodation expenses paid in advance of a journey where the journey is shortened or cancelled as a result of an unforeseen circumstance. (e.g.: injury/illness of the Covered Person, natural disaster)
- Theft, loss or damage to baggage and/or business property.
- Political and natural disaster evacuation expenses.
The University recognises UNSW Business Travel Insurance may not be suitable in all circumstances. In particular, UNSW does not guarantee that the adequacy of the Business Travel coverage offered by UNSW to staff and students will be accepted by all overseas authorities requesting evidence of insurance, for example, foreign educational institutions. Staff and students are encouraged to investigate other travel insurance programs to better meet their needs; however, Insurance will not pay for any alternative insurance obtained by the staff member or student.
The link below has been offered by ACE Insurance as an option. Through the website below you are also able to purchase insurance cover for part of your journey; however you are required to inform the Insurance team with your policy number and the period of your cover.
- If something goes wrong?
An International SOS card can be obtained from:
1. Insurance by calling Azita Karpour on (02) 9385 1980
2. Visit the International SOS Card.
Emergency Assistance Only Card: The card contains both a website and phone number that can be called in the event of serious medical or personal emergencies.
- Making a Claim
All claims are administered by our insurer, ACE Australia.
For medical emergencies and evacuation please contact International SOS.
For any other claims:
Contact ACE on 1800 688 640.
To File a Claim
- Download a Travel Insurance Claim Form
- The last page of the claim form requires completion by the UNSW staff member who has authorised your travel.
- If possible, scan the completed claim form and supporting documents, such as receipts, doctors reports, police reports etc and send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are unable to lodge your claim electronically, keep a copy of all documents and submit original and supporting documentation to: ACE Insurance Limited, GPO Box 406, Sydney NSW 2001.
It is advised to keep a copy of all documents submitted
For more information please contact Finance Helpdesk on email@example.com or call extension 53330.